September 22, 2013

Working as a Transcriptionist

transcriber-transcriptionist
I am so happy to share you all my friend whom I met in a forum and in our fan page. Brenda is a professional Transcriptionist and for the first time she will share her journey and experience as a freelance worker online through this article.

But before we precede let me roll out first what a transcription mean is. According to Wikipedia, it is a service which converts speech either from live or recorded audio into a written or electronic text document. Transcription services are often provided for business, legal, but mostly popular in medical purposes. Some companies pay this service per project or per minute and mostly workers are from the comfort of their own home. Not everyone can deal with this kind of work in fact yours truly tried it but fail due to the accent of the speakers. But professional transcriber like Brenda knows how to finish the job easily in one sitting.


In this article you will learn the true meaning of becoming a transcriber through her experience while still serving and taking care for the family without leaving home. 

1.      In a more layman terms, what does transcription means to you?
Ans: For me, transcription means just writing everything you hear from an audio in a certain format.

2.      How do you discover to work as a transcriptionist?
Ans: I was referred by my sister-in-law who is also a transcriptionist. I already had a background on this when I was in college since I took up Mass Communication major in Broadcasting. I had my on-the-job training with The 700 Club Asia and one of the task I did there was to transcribe videos.

3.      When do you start working as a transcriptionist at home?
Ans: I started working as a transcriptionist March of this year.

4.      What is the hardest part in working as a transcriber?
Ans: For me the hardest part is when you are transcribing a bad audio recording and if the speaker’s accent is not familiar.

5.      Is it profitable?
Ans: For me, if you do this full time I would say yes, because in an average you can earn a minimum P10,000.00 to P15,000 ($ 200 to $300) per month and I can say this is already enough if you are a full time mom like me and you don’t have to go out and spend money to go to work and is tax free.

6.     Aside from earning from this kind of work, how do you find enjoyment in working as a  transcriptionist?
Ans: I enjoy listening to free podcasts, free seminars, free sneak peak of upcoming books to be released by famous authors and writers. I learn something new every time I transcribe an audio.

7.     What are the benefits or advantages of working as a transcriptionist compare than working in a corporate world.
Ans: I’ve been in the corporate world since 2004 and what I see as the biggest advantage of working at home as a transcriptionist is you have the freedom with your time. You can choose when to work, how many hours to work, or not to work on a specific day. And the main reason I quit working as a call center representative is because I want to focus on my 3-year old daughter. I want to see her grow up and I want to be there every step of the way. Also, I get to wake up and sleep whenever I want without thinking that I have to be up the next morning because of work. This job is the best for me because it’s flexible and I get to do my “Mommy stuff” to my daughter. There are so many advantages and benefits especially for a mom and wife like me.


transcriber-transcriptionist

Brenda L. is a 30-year old work at home mom (WAHM) who works as a Transcriptionist for a company in the US. She used to be a call center representative but decided to be a full-time mom to her 3-year old daughter. A graduate of AB Mass Communication major in Broadcasting in Lyceum of the Philippines University, she loves spending time with her family and a fanatic of pre-loved stuffs. You can follow her on Instagram (thegrumpymommy), in her blog Cook Food w/ Love and her journey to motherhood blog TheGrumpy Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...